Friday, June 4, 2010

Life is Crazy

We'll probably have a great post later on with pictures and the whole shabang but for now, here's what we're up to:

Last week was the last day of school for Elementary School. School ended at noon. After a faculty luncheon and a not-so-quick cleaning up of the classroom, we went home and to bed at 6:00pm. We woke up at 12:00 midnight and began the 12-hour trek to Tucson, AZ. Crazy, you might say. Some might agree. We would do it again any day. It was worth driving half of the trip in the dark (we do not have tinted windows and when the sun came out in full force our car was an oven!), and it was nice to be the only ones on the road basically until Flagstaff.

We've been in Tucson since last Friday, soaking up the sun, stuffing ourselves with Mom's cooking, bruising each other in dodgeball, and playing plenty of rounds of "Bang!" It's been so nice to just relax... until Wednesday.

On Wednesday, I emailed a principal in Nashville who had invited me to tour her school and schedule an interview. I told her that I was not going to be in Nashville until July but I would love to speak with her over the phone. We emailed back and forth for a while, and then talked on the phone a bit, and she told me she really "needed" me to fly to Nashville to interview with her on Monday. AH! All of a sudden, I had a to-do list on my vacation:
1. get a flight to Nashville
2. arrange for a couch to sleep on in Nashville
3. figure out how to rent a car in Nashville
4. go shopping for interview-appropriate clothes
5. try to line up more interviews

So, we bought a flight to Nashville-- poor Brian gets to drive back to Provo alone with my 16-year-old brother and his friend who are EFY-bound.

We contacted some friends that we met when we went to Vanderbilt Second-Look Weekend who not only found me a place to stay, but offered to pick me up at the airport and let me use a car!

My mom took me shopping (thank heavens for mothers) for appropriate clothes.

And I've spent the last 2 days emailing/calling principals to try to line up more interviews with not much luck. I even applied to all of the open middle school positions! (that would be scary... but I could do it)

I can't believe how blessed we are!
Blessing #1: I actually have an interview with a principal that is very interested in me!
Blessing #2: I have a second interview with a principal that seems mildly interested in me.
Blessing #3: We met wonderful people last time we were in Nashville who are being so kind and helping me out!
Blessing #4: I get to see our townhome and meet our landlady while I am there!
Blessing #5: The director of my ESL class didn't seem too bothered that I am missing the first 2 days of class.

Hopefully I walk away from this experience with a job, but even if I don't, it has really shown me how blessed we are!

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! I am stressed just reading this! Sounds like things are falling IMO place though. GOOD LUCK!! I'm sure you'll do great. Looking for jobs is
    not too fun, but things will work out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *into place. I really shouldn't type comments on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like for you to teach me the 3rd grade. Like, in the present day. I see this only being extremely fun.
    It's obvious from your love for your kids and your ambition in finding a new teaching position that you love and are great at what you do! You have a great perspective. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I guess that means you won't be in Provo on Wednesday, rats! Josh is going into the MTC and I was going to see what you were doing, lol. Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I will be back tonight so I will be around on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete