Friday, April 9, 2010

Book Review

If you know us, you know that we love books. Despite our recent oath to NOT buy any more books, we caved and bought a few... but honestly, they are such good books, we couldn't resist. Here are some of our more recent acquisitions and recommendations:

Ranger's Apprentice Book 1: "The Ruins of Gorlan"

I know, it does look a little creepy. But the story is definitely not as dark as the cover. I wouldn't recommend it for young children, but maybe 6th grade and up, just because of the fancy language (I came to a word I had never seen before!)

These books have kind of a Lord of the Rings feel, but they are much more accessible. It is set in medieval times, and a group of orphans receive their apprenticeship assignmnets. Young Will wants to go to Battle School but is too small, so he becomes the Ranger's apprentice....

There are 7 books in this series, the 8th one comes out in the US later this summer, and I believe the author is planning to write at least 10. ooooh I can't wait!




The Heir Series: Book 1 "The Warrior Heir"
This is a really interesting series. This is more of teenage/adult fiction (I know!! Who thought I would read anything except children's literature?). It is similar to the "Percy Jackson" series in that it is about an adolescent boy who finds out that he is not as normal as he grew up thinking. This knowledge unleashes a host of enemies that hunt for him. It is similar to "Hunger Games" in that there are characters that are basically being trained to be gladiators.
Brian and I both read "The Warrior Heir" on the plane ride to Nashville. It is thrilling, suspenseful, and entertaining! I haven't read the next two books "The Wizard Heir" and "The Dragon Heir," but I have high expectations.

4 comments:

  1. I love when you guys post book reviews! I'm always looking for things to read and it helps when true book lovers like yourselves give suggestions because I'm not very good at just picking them out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to help! I love spreading the love of books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job speaking at your graduation,Brian!! We just saw it today at Gma and Gpa Oldham's house. I loved your reference to buying books and then food with any money left over! I can relate, only with clothes... And it was so sweet how you talked about Natalie! You two are the cutest couple! Are you excited to go to Nashville??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Natalie! I've just finished reading the Percy Jackson series, and have almost completed the Eragon series and was really starting to feel concerned about what to read next. I'm going to have to check out both of these series you just recommended. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete