We have a second bedroom in our apartment which used to look like this:
This was actually on a day when I made it look nice... usually it was just a place to dump stuff.
Now it looks like this:
It was fun to try to decorate this room using mostly things that I already had or was given. I made the "headboard" for the guest bed out of an old curtain rod and some white sheets. Notice the dresser from the before picture? I love it's new look and crystal knobs, even though it was a ton of work.
I just finished the blackout curtains this week! I am excited about how
they turned out, and they really do make the room very dark, even in
the middle of the day.
Most of the picture frames are still empty. I'm planning on making some bunting with Little Girl's name on it to go in the open frame, and then baby pictures and family pictures in the other frames. I got the "medusa" lamp on Craigslist and it has been in my classroom for the last few years. Perfect colors!
This project took forever... until I figured out I could just drill holes in the bottom for the hook screws (I was trying to screw them into the bottom of the frame by hand-- not so smart). Do you think that Little Girl has enough headbands? I'm not so sure...
I thrifted this $4 mirror from Goodwill. I didn't take any before
pictures, but it was UGLY. The frame was brown plastic open circles that kind
of look like wicker. Or like someone had glued a bunch of bangle bracelets together. I tried painting it, but lost patience and ended up just
wrapping the whole thing with white fabric. The turquoise lamp I also got at Goodwill and painted 2 years ago. It's been on my desk in my classroom until now.
I LOVE my rocking recliner! And the first quilt I've ever made and not given away.
I made the pack-and-play sheet, too--using this great tutorial.
A girl's gotta have plenty of books....
...and clothes! I think Little Girl will be able to wear a different outfit every day for the first year of her life, at least.
My favorite part of the whole room:
I framed pieces of my Great Grandma Bessie's jewelry. Above are a pair of clip-on earrings and below is a matching brooch.
I was Grandma Bessie's first great-grandchild (she insisted that we were NOT to call her "great" grandma, it made her feel old). She made me a quilt with yellow toucan fabric on the back that I adored. I remember visiting her in Bountiful, Utah when I was pretty young and I have vague memories of a sparkly chandelier, running through the backyard, and eating orange rolls. I love having Grandma Bessie's jewelry displayed! It's a fun way to remember her and they are perfect sparkly accessories for the room.


You are so talented and thrifty! It looks perfect. So excited for you both!
ReplyDeleteWow everything is perfect! I love it, and so thrifty! Please come decorate our apartment for me.:)
ReplyDeleteAw, girlyness!!! So cute!!
ReplyDeleteIt's so cute! I love the headband holder - I need to make one!
ReplyDelete