but this particular book definitely proves the adage "don't judge a book by it's cover" true. It is about a group of people who live in a village beneath a forbidden mountain. Because their culture puts a lot of value on strength and courage, Rowan is looked down upon for his timidity and small, weak stature.In the first book, "Rowan of Rin," the river running down from the mountain goes dry. The village wise woman, Sheba, gives them a prophesy/riddle to solve that will help a small group navigate their way up the mountain.
- Seven hearts the journey make,
- Seven ways the hearts will break.
- Bravest heart will carry on,
- When sleep is death, and hope is gone.
- Look in the fiery jaws of fear
- And see the answer white and clear,
- Then throw away all thoughts of home
- For only then your quest is done.
In each book there is an adventure, usually guided only by Sheba's seemingly confusing and helpless prophesies. Each one is a great read!
The series is in this order:
Rowan of Rin
Rowan and the Travellers
Rowan and the Keeper of the Crystal
Rowan and the Zebak
Rowan of the Bukshah (Alternate title: Rowan and the Ice Creepers)
I particularly enjoyed these books because they were quick reads (around 150-200 pages-- I read each one in 1-2 evenings), but they were still intricate and exciting. I think Emily Rodda does a fantastic job of developing her characters and setting, even in such short books. I highly reccomend these books to anyone who enjoys fantasy and adventure!


Natalie! I am so glad to have found your blog! I blog-hop all the time, and I love running into old friends, and old laurels. =) You and your hubby are so cute, and I'm sure you are so incredibly happy. Give me an update sometime!
ReplyDelete