Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Right Profession

Brian is definitely in the right field. When I met him on campus today to work out, he was practically giddy; he told me all about cutting apart his group's cadaver (affectionately known as "Jeff").

(He had already told me all about how it took all 4 of his group members to move Jeff onto his stomach and how they cut through and opening up the skin on his back.)

Today he got to pull back the ilio costalis, spinalis, and longisimus (back muscles) and broke off parts of the vertebrae to expose the spinal cord. He animatedly described using a bone saw to get through the vertebrae and the subsequent juicy-ness that splattered his shirt.

Personally, I don't think I could handle that. But Brian loves it.

Just now, he said (from behind his computer):
"Oh sweet! On Friday we get to use power saws to cut the clavicles and the lower part of the sternum. And use pruning shears to cut apart the ribs!"

Yup, pretty sure he's in the right profession.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that Brian is where he should be and having fun with it! Keep him in good training so he can take care of all the family! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I could watch, not actually cut, though. Yuck! Glad he's happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nerd! Bri you are awesome! I still laugh about how you compared your research at BYU to scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would always ask Jimmy if he felt like a psychotic, creepy murderer cutting a person open in these ways. He claimed that he did not.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete