Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Wow

Today I was in the Quilted Bear-- it's a huge store with lots of booths with crafty things people make to sell-- just pricing some flower hair clips (to see if I could buy them or make them cheaper). This is only the second time I've been in the store, but I really enjoy just walking around and looking at all the things people have made. I was just looking at some wall signs with cute sayings on them (wishing I could get one for our bedroom) and this cute lady stopped me. She was older, but not very old. I would guess at maybe late 60's? Anyways, she said "I'm sorry, you are probably going to think I am very strange, but I would like to give you some money for your purchase today." I started to object, but she interrupted me. "This is a tradition I have to commemorate my husband's death," she said. "Every year I do this, and I always start here at the Quilted Bear. I saw you walking around a few minutes ago and I thought you might be the one. Then I happened to run into you again and I knew that I needed to talk to you. Please take this, it brings me so much happiness." Then she handed me $40 in cash! I was trying to object, to tell her that it was too much, and she just told me maybe I should buy something I wouldn't have normally bought-- but she was insistent that I could spend it however I wanted.

So I bought the wall signs I was looking at. I bought both of them! One says "Always and Forever, no matter what" and one says "together is a wonderful place to be". I am excited to put them up in our apartment. Now they will have double meaning to me. I love the sayings, but also they will remind me of the example of that sweet stranger. I never even got her name! What a selfless and Christlike way to live-- instead of dwelling on her loss, she took the opportunity to reach outside herself and give to others. It will be a long time before I am in a financial position where I can hand out money to complete strangers, but I want to follow her example, if in different ways. This has been a strong reminder to always serve others, even when (or maybe especially when) the situation would warrant more selfish thinking.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cool story. What a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet! You'll definitely remember that forever.

    Hey now I am stalking you so let's be blog friends! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete